Keeping track of the state high points visited along with a mini trip report in the table below. State high points are listed in the order in which I visited. Click the link of each high point name to be taken to a more detailed post of that high point (video is usually also included). If there is no link, it just means I am still currently working on the blog post for it, so check back soon!
|State High Point||Date||Details|
|(1) Black Elk Peak, SD||July 14, 2017||7 Hours Round Trip|
|(2) Spruce Knob, WV||June 10, 2021||Easy walk from the parking lot. The drive up was bonkers.|
|(3) Hoye Crest, MD||June 15, 2021||Steady 1-mile incline to the top|
|(4) Magazine Mountain, AR||June 25, 2021|
|(5) Driskell Mountain, LA||July 04, 2021|
|(6) Black Mesa, OK||August 18, 2021||Bring a trekking umbrella…thank me later! Wonderful hike to the top!|
|(7) Mount Sunflower, KS||August 19, 2021||Drive right up. No hiking is required.|
I found this trivia list from Outdoor Pilgram and thought it was super neat, so I have added my own trivia from my completed state high points.
TRIVIA FROM MY COMPLETED STATE HIGH POINTS VISITED
- My current HP tally: 7 states!
- States east of the Mississippi completed: 3
- States west of the Mississippi completed: 4
- Number of HPs I visited solo: 0
- Number I hiked with a guide: 0
- Number completed with family: 7
- Number completed with friends: 0
- Number of HPs I visited in 2017: 1
- Number I visited in 2018: 0
- Number I visited in 2019: 0
- Number I visited in 2020: 0
- Number I visited in 2021: 6
- Lowest HP I’ve stood upon: Kansas
- Highest one I’ve conquered: South Dakota
- Longest distance hiked for a HP: 7 Miles Round Trip (South Dakota)
- Number of State high points visited in winter (December-February): 0
- Number visited in spring (March-May): 0
- Number visited in summer (June-August): 7
- Number visited in autumn (September-November): 0
- How many HPs I’ve done more than once: 0
- Number of HPs completed (or revisited) because of my 2020 AT thru-hike: 0 (had to get off trail because of the pandemic, will retry in 2025)
- Which contiguous states are left: Too many to list
- Which of the 2 non-contiguous states are left: Both of them
- Favorite thus far: Black Elk Peak, South Dakota
- My least favorite: Mount Sunflower, Kansas (only because it was in the middle of nowhere and nothing to see)
- Highpointing goal for 2022: Finally knock out Texas!!
Have you visited any state high points? Comment down below and let me know! I’d love to hear what you thought and any advice for ones that I have not done so far! Or if you have any trivia questions you think I should add, let me know.