Setting up a WordPress blog is super easy and pretty straight forward. These steps are for self-hosted WordPress blogs. If you do not have a self-hosted WordPress blog and what to know how to get started blogging, please see How To Start A Blog.
These steps already assume you have installed the WordPress platform on your server through your hosting company. If you have not done that, please see How To Install WordPress.
5 Steps To Setting Up A WordPress Blog
1. Head Over To Settings. It is located on the left-hand side.
Start with general and write your blog name under Site Title and create a tagline. Set the rest of the settings to your liking. Click Save.
Head to Settings >> Writing. Check convert emoticons. Click Save. Settings >> Reading. Now many of these settings you may have to come back to change depending on the theme you choose. For now, just make sure Recent Posts is selected and click Save. Settings >> Discussion. This is all just really user preference but I recommend making sure all default article settings are checked, comment author must fill out name and email is checked, both Email Me Whenever settings are checked, Hold Comment in cue if it has 1 or more links, Under Avatars: Show avatars, show people’s profiles when you mouse over, PG, and Mystery Person are all selected. Settings >> Media. Image sizes, thumbnails 150×150, medium 300×300, large 1024×1024. Under uploading files make sure the box is unchecked for “organize into month and year”. Settings>>Permalinks. This is IMPORTANT for SEO! Choose Post Name and click save.
2. Create Categories. You do this by going to posts, then categories. Categories will be used for your blogging entries and articles. You can always add more categories as your blog grows. For now, choose categories that you will write about. i.e. if you have a pet blog, your categories could be Pet Product Reviews, Homemade Treat Recipies, and Daily Life. I recommend everyone have a daily life category as this is where you could put your normal everyday “I did this today” blog posts. I suggest renaming the category “uncategorized” to daily life. Make sure to also change the “slug” for it to daily-life as well.
3. Create Pages. Click on pages on the left-hand side. Pages should be used for static pages such as the about and contact pages. Create your About Me page now.
4. Install Plugins. There are several plugins bloggers need. See my list of recommendations! You install a plugin by clicking Plugins>>Add New. You can then search the WordPress directory for plugins. They are free and there are a ton! Once you find one that will be useful, make sure it is compatible with your version of WordPress (it will tell you) and click install. After you have installed and activated it, make sure to go to the setting for it and update any settings that may need to be updated. After you install plugins you may need to come back to settings and recheck to see if the newly installed plugin created new settings for you to choose.
5. Choose a Theme. The beauty of WordPress is that it comes with several premade and already installed themes. You can choose one of those or browse the Themes menu to install more free themes. I personally would find a paid theme that you really like as changing themes later on, can be a hassle. Paid themes will offer more flexibility and stylization. In other words, something that will match more of your style and brand. I recommend using the Genesis Framework (aff link). Once you have your theme go through the theme settings to set them to your preferences. And you are all done!
If you are a female blogger I suggest looking through Beautiful Dawn themes (aff link) as they are ver beautiful and affordable.