Below is the amount of weight the Military will pay to move or what is known as a PCS weight allowance for household goods. The amount of weight allowed is based on pay grade and if you have dependents or not. Military gear (PRO- Gear) that is packed separately and declared to the mover as such is NOT configured into this weight allowance as PRO-Gear is shipped “free” so to speak.
*Note 1 / Note 3
|Permanent of Station (PCS) Without Dependents||Permanent Change of Station (PCS) With Dependents|
|O-1/W-1/Service Academy Graduates||10,000||12,000|
|E-9||13,000 *Note 4||15,000 *Note 4|
|Service Academy Cadets/Midshipmen||350 *TDY Weight Allowance|
NOTE 1: Includes a Uniformed Service regular and Reserve Component member, and an officer holding a temporary commission in the US Army/Air Force
NOTE 2: For this table, a member “with dependents” is a member who has a dependent eligible to travel at Government expense incident to the member’s PCS. Actual dependent travel has no bearing. Incident to a member’s first PCS after:
1. The death(s) of all of the member’s dependent(s), or
2. A divorce that leaves the member with no dependent(s) eligible to travel at Government expense, the member has the weight allowance of a member “with dependents”.
NOTE 3: A member appointed from an:
1. Enlisted/warrant officer grade to a commissioned officer grade, or
2. Enlisted grade to a warrant officer grade or rating is authorized the grade’s weight allowance:
a. Held on the member’s PCS authorization/order effective date used for HHG transportation, or
b. From which an appointment was accepted, whichever is greater.
3. Upon reversion, the member is authorized the weight allowance of the grade held:
a. On the member’s PCS authorization/order effective date then being used for HHG transportation or
b. Before reversion, whichever is greater.
NOTE 4: A member selected as Senior Enlisted Advisor to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Sergeant Major of the Army, Chief Master Sergeant of the Air Force, Master Chief Petty Officer of the Navy, Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps, or Master Chief Petty Officer of the Coast Guard is authorized a weight allowance of:
1. 17,000 pounds with dependents or,
2. 14,000 pounds without dependents.
For a PCS authorization/order issued on or after receiving notice of selection to that position and for the remainder of the military career.