We have seen this happen with state parks here in Texas (and I am sure elsewhere) since the beginning of the pandemic as a way to limit the number of people at one time within a park. Some National Parks will now require reservations in 2022.
While a couple of National Parks have already had reservation requirements in place, several more have been added to the list for 2022 as a way to control the number of people within the park or within a certain area of the park to avoid overcrowding.
National Parks that will Require Reservations in 2022
The following National Parks will require reservations in 2022:
Acadia National Park
Cadillac Summit Road – Just like last year, vehicle reservations are required for Cadillac Summit Road from May 25, 2022, through Oct 22, 2022. 30% of vehicle reservations will be made available 90 days ahead of each date. The remaining 70% will be released at 10 am ET two days ahead. For more information, see the Acadia NP article here.
Arches National Park
Timed day entry – From April 3 to October 3, 2022 Arches NP will implement a temporary, pilot timed entry system to help manage traffic. Ticketed entry will run from 6 am to 5 pm daily. You can purchase your timed-entry ticket up to 3-months in advance. You will need a timed day entry pass for every day your vehicle will be in the park.
Glacier National Park
While a ticketing system has been in use since 2021, the NPS has opted to continue the pilot program into 2022. You will need to use this ticketing system to access portions of the park from May 27 through September 11, 2022.
Going-to-the-Sun Road (GTSR) at the West Entrance, St. Mary Entrance, and the new Camas Entrance: one ticket per vehicle will again be required to enter these areas, however, tickets will not be required at the St. Mary Entrance prior to the full opening of the GTSR, which is typically in late June
Polebridge Ranger Station to visit the North Fork area of the park – new for 2022, one ticket per vehicle will be required.
For more information about the Glacier ticketing system, see this article.
Haleakala National Park
Sunrise Reservations – As in years past, you will need a reservation to enter the park between 3 A.M. and 7 A.M. You can make your reservation up to 60 days in advance.
Rocky Mountain National Park
Timed Entry – Just like last year, visitors will be required to purchase a timed entry pass to access the park May 27, 2022 – October 10, 2022. Reservations can be made roughly 30-days in advance (see this schedule). Additionally, 25 to 30 percent of permits will be held and available for purchase the day prior at 5 p.m. through recreation.gov.
Shenandoah National Park
Backcountry camping – A backcountry camping permit system is expected to be implemented in late 2022 or early 2023. The permit system will allow users to plan their trip in advance with current information. A fee of $20-$30 is likely and will depend on the number of nights for each permit.
Old Rag Hikers – If you are planning to hike Old Rag Mountain in Shenandoah National Park, you will need to obtain a permit in advance beginning March 1, 2022, this includes hikers on the Saddle, Ridge, and Ridge Access trails. This is a pilot program expected to run until November 30, 2022, and is expected to become permanent.
Old Rag users will need to get a daily reservation in advance. There will be a minimal $1 processing fee during the pilot program. Only 800 tickets will be issued per day and they will not be available for purchase at the Old Rag fee station. According to the press release, “Tickets may be purchased up to 30 days in advance and are valid for the day of arrival only. Although a total of 800 tickets will be available for each day, 400 will be released 30 days in advance and the remaining 400 will be released five days in advance”. Ticket sales begin February 1, 2022.
Source: National Park Service
Zion National Park
Angels Landing Trail – Those wishing to hike one of the most popular areas in Zion National Park will now need a permit to do so beginning April 01, 2022. The permit system is a lottery system, meaning that when you are ready to make your reservation, you will need to choose seven ranked days and times or windows of days and times you want to hike. You will then be notified if you “won” a permit for one of those days. For more information about the lottery system, see this article from Zion NP.
Now that several parks require reservations in 2022, does this change your upcoming plans at all? Leave a comment below and let us know.