We love old railroads and the Cass Scenic Railroad hit the spot while we were visiting my Mom in West Virginia last summer.
To be on the safe side we purchased our tickets in advance on their website since we were traveling three hours to get there.
They offer two different options to choose from. Whether you looking for a two-hour trip or want to spend half the day and have lunch included, they have you covered. We opted for the two-hour Whittaker Station trip since we also planned on checking out some other attractions and places within the area.
The cars were open-air with the benches facing outward instead of towards the front of the car. It didn’t matter where you sat, you got a good view no matter what and are able to stand up and walk around after the train starts choo chooing along.
You start off at Cass Sation and pass by the old Cass Mill (you can apparently walk the grounds, we didn’t get the chance, mostly because we forgot by the time we returned).
You will go through two switchbacks as the locomotive climbs the mountain to Whittaker Station. This was the first time we had been on a train that does that (uses switchbacks that is).
The trek up the mountain is mostly tree-covered but eventually starts opening up to beautiful views.
Once you reach Whittaker Station on the Cass Scenic Railroad, you are given about 30 minutes to roam around, use the bathroom, and grab a bite to eat (the snack bar was closed when we arrived. I assume due to the whole pandemic thing.
- The current Depot was built in the 1970s to replace the 1923 Depot which burned in 1975
- The Whittaker trip is 8 miles round trip and takes about two hours
- The Bald Knob trip is 22 miles round trip and takes about 4.5 hours
- The parking lot was once the storage area for finished lumber produced by Cass Mill
- The Shay Locomotive is a steam locomotive
- Of the 2,761 Shays built by the Lima (Ohio) Locomotive Works beginning in 1880, the five at Cass are among the few remaining anywhere
- The Cass Scenic Railroad is the same line built in 1901 to haul lumber to the mill in Cass
Cass Scenic Railroad Information
12363 Cass Road
Cass, WV 24927
Phones open 9am – 5pm Monday – Friday
Train Rides vary, check website for current days and times.
Varies, but the average is $60 / per person