I love chicken pot pie, which is weird since I hated it as a child. At the same time with a busy house and running my own business as a professional photographer, I need easy quick, yet healthy meals. This one fits that bill.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
1 pound of uncooked chicken breast (skinless, boneless) cut in cubes
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1/2 c sliced celery
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp of poultry seasoning
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed
2/3 cups of milk
1 3/4 cups chicken brother
EXTRA Box of chicken broth or Water and 2 chicken bouillon cubes
2 (9 inch) pie crusts
- Preheat oven to 425 F
- In a saucepan combine the chicken, carrots, peas, celery, and 1/4 tsp of poultry seasoning. Fill with enough chicken broth to cover (or use water and the 2 bouillon cubes). Bring to a boil and boil for 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In the same saucepan over medium heat melt butter. Stir in flour and the rest of the spices (it will more than likely clump up). Slowly add the 1 3/4 cup of broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until sauce has thickened.
- While the sauce thickens, place the bottom of the pie crust in a pie pan and bake at 425 F for 6 minutes then remove from oven (this makes sure the bottom pie crust does not become soggy while cooking.
- Once the sauce has thickened, add chicken mixture and mix well then pour into pie crust. Cover with top crust. Seal edges and place several slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling TIP: to keep the outer edges of the crust from getting too dark or burning, place a pie ring (or foil) around edges of crust (while leaving the middle exposed) 15 minutes into cooking time.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.